Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing a shop (it's that time of the year again)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing a shop (it's that time of the year again)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:38:18 -0500
At 09:10 AM 11/16/2009, eric@megageek.com wrote:

 >I got a $150 gift certificate for FarmTek (for coming in as a runner up in
 >their contest for the best use of their buiilding this year. ....

 >Anyway, back to the question, since I have been planning on finalyl putting
 >a more perment solution to air lines in my shop, I thought it would be
 >great to use the certificate on air lines....

 >Now, I've seen alot of discussion on using copper, iron, or PEX tubing for
 >home compressor situations.  Does anyone have any final words on it?  Also,
 >is there any problem making it a mix of the above?

Moose,

I can't say that this is the "final" word on the subject, but I've
been been told
NOT to use PVC.  A friend had his commercial shop plumbed in PVC and it
exploded.  Luckily it was a pretty tall building and now one got hurt.

I've also been told not to use copper.  However, another friend has his garage
done in copper and so far hasn't had any problems.

When I did my garage, I used black pipe.  The draw back to it is having to have
a thread cutter.  This allowed my to just buy something like 6 or 8 10' sticks,
and elbows.  Then we cut everything to fit.  This brings the cost way down.

Luckily I had a friend that works construction so he was able to bring over the
pipe vice, the thread cutter and dies, and a porta-band (portable band saw)
to cut the pipe.  Knowing your connections, if you don't already have
a die and wrench for it, you can probably borrow one.  Same for the
porta-band or a good
band saw.

The Black pipe was actually pretty easy to work with given the correct tools.

John
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic