Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:47:00 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Rich White wrote:
> I would have thought 12/3 with ground would have been the correct wire.
> This would have meant that there would have been a red and a black wire
> for phase, a white wire for ground and the bare wire as the grounded
> conductor.
>
> Am I missing something?

I think so, yes.  The xx/3 wire has the shielded white wire to provide a
neutral for 110vac loads.  I.e. on an electric stove with a 110vac light
or timer or something like that.

If you don't have any 110vac loads, all you need are the hot wires for
each phase (I'm don't think this is the correct word since you'll still be
single phase, but I don't know the proper one), plus a safety ground.  The
220vac motor will be connected to the two hots, with the case connected to
the safety ground.  No current will be carried on the safety ground.

FWIW, you'll see welders wired like this all the time, for the same
reason.  They don't have 110vac loads and therefore don't need the neutral
wire.

Mark