Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)

To: "'shop-talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:04:24 -0800
> I would have thought 12/3 with ground would have been the
> correct wire.  This
> would have meant that there would have been a red and a black
> wire for phase,
> a white wire for ground and the bare wire as the grounded conductor.

If it's just a 220v pump motor, it doesn't need a power ground.  The motor
connects only between the two hot wires (with the safety ground to the
housing).

And while I don't know if it's allowed by current code or not; since 2
conductor (plus ground) cable usually only has white and black, I've seen a
lot of examples where white is hot as well as black.

Randall