Re: [Shop-talk] UPDATE: HF Tire Changer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] UPDATE: HF Tire Changer
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:29:58 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Jim Stone wrote:
> Next up was a set of 14" Porsche 924 rims that I hope to put on one of
> my Alpines. One of the rims (I have 5) is a little beat, so I decided to
> learn on it.  My plan was to do this one, then bolt the changer to the
> floor for the rest.  However, nothing I do seems to break the rim free.
> The bead breaker forces the tire down a bit, then slips right off
> without breaking the bead.  I've tried multiple angles with the breaker
> and both sides of the tire, but cannot budge it.  I've tried it lubed
> with dish soap and dry, but no difference.  Just to be safe, I tried one
> of the other Porsche wheels too, but with the same result.  Unless I am
> doing something wrong - a definite possibility given my experience
> removing the first tire - nothing I do is going to safely break the
> bead.
>
> I'm definitely giving up for the day (whoever said it was a good upper
> body workout wasn't kidding!), probably for good.  I have some time off
> over Xmas; I suspect that will be a good time to throw the rims in the
> back of the truck and go shopping for a good deal on removing the tires.
>
> Lets see: three tires dismounted for $40.  Not quite a good deal.

Caveat... My machine is a powered one.

If the bead breaker is slipping off without moving the bead at all, I'd be
trying to figure out a way to give it more angle/more bite on the tire.
You want the shoe part of the bead breaker right up against the rim (even
stuffed under it a bit), to help it move the bead on the rim, rather than
just bending the sidewall.

Three tires dismounted for $40 isn't a great deal, true.  But the upper
body workout isn't a bad thing, and its probably worth $40 to get the
experience.

Mark