Re: [Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>, "Jim Franklin"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:56:37 -0600
David Scheidt wrote:

>Sears used to sell something like that (I've got a pair),

They still do (go online at www.sears.com and search for "lock ring
pliers".

They seem to call snap ring pliers the same thing (they are not), but if
you scroll down you will find some SK branded Lock Ring pliers for
$26...

(I have two of the Craftsman branded ones...)
When used right, they don't slip (it was mentioned that something
"similar" was used).  The knurling on the ends of the pliers tend to
hold onto the lock ring when you expand it.  I've taken apart several
transmissions (and put them back together), and lock ring pliers are the
only tool that will work with lock rings.

Tim Mullen