Re: [Shop-talk] Rubber surface for motorcycle trailer ramp?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rubber surface for motorcycle trailer ramp?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:07:07 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Jim Franklin wrote:
> I have a small dirt bike that has ice screws in the tires. I'm looking for a
> rubber-type material to keep the tires from sliding around on the metal
> trailer ramp. I'm on my way to Lowes to look at their ice & water shield for
> roofing, but it may be too tar-impregnanted, or may have an aluminum backing
> like the Home Depot brand.
>
> Any suggestions on a suitable material? Peel and stick to metal is required,
> and a 6" pre-cut width would be really nice. Carpet would work but might
> stink after a few months. Grit-based tape will wear down the ice screws.

    How many hundred-thousand times are you going to load and unload the
bike?  Less than 5, and I don't think you have to worry about wearing down
the screws, do you?  I have a set of car tires with probably-similar
screws ( Kold Kutters ) and they've suffered no ill effects from a lot of
rolling around on pavement and concrete ( under a 2100 pound car ) and
metal trailer floor.

    I have some tape at home that I think would work great.  I can't
remember what it's called but it's some kind of rubberized asphalt in a 4"
wide stick-on tape.  If you aren't dead-set against that sort of tape,
I'll check tonight and see what it is called.  If you are dead-set against
that, I don't know what else is going to peel-and-stick to (cold) metal.
We used this tape to replace the interior carpet in the ice-racer, and it
worked great.

    Are you driving the bike in, or walking it?  I think you'll tear up
carpet in no time if the former.  I know I left tracks in my asphalt
driveway with my studded tires, and that was just very slow moves in and
out of the garage and trailer.

--
  David Hillman