Re: [Shop-talk] Rubber surface for motorcycle trailer ramp?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rubber surface for motorcycle trailer ramp?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:39:02 -0500
On Jan 14, 2010, at 4:07 PM, David Hillman wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Jim Franklin wrote:
>> I have a small dirt bike that has ice screws in the tires. I'm
>> looking for a rubber-type material to keep the tires from sliding
>> around on the metal trailer ramp. I'm on my way to Lowes to look at
>> their ice & water shield for roofing, but it may be too tar-
>> impregnanted, or may have an aluminum backing like the Home Depot
>> brand.
>>
>> Any suggestions on a suitable material? Peel and stick to metal is
>> required, and a 6" pre-cut width would be really nice. Carpet would
>> work but might stink after a few months. Grit-based tape will wear
>> down the ice screws.
>
>   How many hundred-thousand times are you going to load and unload
> the bike?  Less than 5, and I don't think you have to worry about
> wearing down the screws, do you?  I have a set of car tires with
> probably-similar
> screws ( Kold Kutters ) and they've suffered no ill effects from a
> lot of rolling around on pavement and concrete ( under a 2100 pound
> car ) and metal trailer floor.

The integrity of the screw's edge is far more critical on a 2 wheeler
than a 4 wheeler. Plus, it will need some bite while actually on the
trailer.

>   I have some tape at home that I think would work great.  I can't
> remember what it's called but it's some kind of rubberized asphalt
> in a 4" wide stick-on tape.  If you aren't dead-set against that
> sort of tape, I'll check tonight and see what it is called.  If you
> are dead-set against that, I don't know what else is going to peel-
> and-stick to (cold) metal. We used this tape to replace the interior
> carpet in the ice-racer, and it worked great.

Yes, that's sorta what I'm after, but thick enough to provide cision
against the metal. So 1/8" thick woul dbe ideal, but 1/16" could work
if it was stiff enough.

>   Are you driving the bike in, or walking it?  I think you'll tear
> up carpet in no time if the former.  I know I left tracks in my
> asphalt driveway with my studded tires, and that was just very slow
> moves in and out of the garage and trailer.

Definitely walking. I don't know anyone with the testicular fortitude
to ride a bike onto a trailer except on episodes of Hold My Beer. :-)

jim