Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:57:18 -0600
Mark said:
> What's wrong with just soldering a fitting onto the pipe?

Nothing.

With me, I was "afraid" that I wouldn't be able to get a good joint and
I'd have leaks.  Hence my use of the compression fittings.

Then once, I had to change a shutoff valve under a sink - remove the
compression fitting valve and since there were none like it available, I
had to solder a pipe thread fitting on the stub.  Turned out to be very
easy.  I kicked myself for being afraid to solder all those years.  I
solder whenever I can as it's easy to do.  I've had to do other fixes
under various sinks, and solder the pipes without problem.

But sometimes the compression fittings are easier - like John, my
shutoff valve to the house doesn't work 100%, so I get a bit of a leak.
It can be a pain trying to solder to a pipe that still has water leaking
out of it.  Yes, you can use the bread, etc. tricks, but slipping on the
compression fitting and tightening it up was easy, and it didn't matter
if the pipe was leaking water or not.  :)

As John said:
> True, but then you also have to go buy a new propane torch,
> solid \ solder, and some acid flux.
>
> I still vote for the flex lines.

I have all that, and I still vote for the flex lines - it makes the
installation easier, and it will make the next time that much easier.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA