[Shop-talk] Mythbusters sucks! [rant] (was: water heater (grand

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Mythbusters sucks! [rant] (was: water heater (grand
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:04:50 -0500
On 1/26/2010 11:19 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> Maybe we should end this thread with a bang.
> Here is the classic MythBusters exploding water heater experiment:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q

Anyone else loathe Mythbusters as much as me?!  Don't get me wrong -- I
like "watching shit blow up" as much as the next guy and Kari is an
extreme babe.  But it really ticks me off that they present their
garbage as "science".  Testing everything brute-fore empirically may
make for nice TV, but please don't try to pass it off as legit science.

C'mon -- how much welding did they do on that water heater tank to
sustain over 300psi?  Even if the pressure relief valve was stuck (or
welded over) any number of other weak points in the tank or home
plumbing system would have blown out and vented it with much less drama.

And how did that tank launch itself so perfectly straight up?  Should
have blown at a weld on the end caps or fittings and gone sideways-ish.
  Did they create a weak spot right on the bottom center to blow out and
launch it vertically?

Oh well -- it dun blowed up real good!

-Wayne