Re: [Shop-talk] Mythbusters sucks! [rant]

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mythbusters sucks! [rant]
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:53:54 -0600
David Hillman

> My main example was from a movie myth show,
> where they tried to jump a car Dukes of Hazzard style.  They
> concluded ( via a remote control full-size demo ) that it was
> impossible to jump a car 150' and survive, nevermind staying
> in control.

I have a couple of gripes with them.  Along the lines of the above one,
I remember them doing a "James Bond Movie Myth" one where they tried to
jump the speed boat - they concluded that it couldn't be done, even
though there are films of the stunt man doing just that as they filmed
the original movie.

The other one that annoyed me was the air plane propeller cutting up the
other plane "myth".  I've read the accounts in the proper journals
describing the event and showing the two aircraft together (along with
the FAA accident investigation) - it was not a "myth" it has happened,
yet they present it as possibly false...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA