Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: "'Team shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:05:20 -0800
>     If not, shouldn't we have reports from drivers, who claim
> to be standing on the brakes during these events, that felt
> the ABS-activation pedal feedback?

Note that I do not subscribe to the ABS-failure theory, it was just an
answer to your question as to how computer problems could keep the brakes
from working.

But the "pedal feedback" you are talking about is caused because the
_computer_ is rapidly modulating the brakes.  If it had failed, and was
simply disabling them completely, there would be no pedal feedback.

And IMO most drivers aren't familiar enough with ABS to know the difference
anyway.  We have plenty of reports of "I put on the brakes as hard as I
could, and they did not stop the car".

BTW, I don't have the link handy, but there was some gov't agency that
decided it could take as much as 225 pounds of force (or something like
that, maybe I got the exact number wrong) on the brake pedal, to stop a
Lexus ES under WOT conditions.

I've not tried to measure it myself, but I can vouch that on my 95 Buick
wagon, it does take a whole BUNCH to stop quickly without the boost, even
with the engine not fighting the brakes; plus the pedal goes considerably
lower than normal.  After the experiment, I adjusted my seat position closer
to the pedals, so that in an emergency, I could use my leg muscles and hips
against the seat to stomp the brakes, instead of having to use my toes
and/or back muscles.  Even so, I could not lock the wheels.

And I'm a fairly big guy, I seriously doubt that my featherweight wife would
be able to muster what it takes.  For her, it would be like picking up a 130
pound box, while standing on her toes.

-- Randall