Re: [Shop-talk] string trimmer engine won't run

To: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] string trimmer engine won't run
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:38:27 -0700
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:21:52PM -0700, Brian Kemp wrote:

> I had new gas and mixed the oil as I've done for years.  After about 10
> minutes of use with the brush cutter, suddenly the trimmer lost power
> and stalled.  I found I could go to full choke, pull the cord, then go
> the half choke and pull the cord and have it run normally for a few
> minutes.  No choke and it died.  Once I hit a heavy patch of brush, it
> would loose power and only idle.  If I pulled the throttle it would
> stall.  I repeated this several times, with a shorter run period each
> time till I couldn't make the engine run.

Classic symptoms of a clogged fuel tank vent.

Other possibilities in descending order of probability:
-partially clogged jet in the carb
-leaking crank seal or some other leak allowing air into the cases
-stuck rings/partial piston seizure

if its the latter then it'll be easier to pull but hard to start
because the rings won't seal as well.

Eric

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96