Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:54:29 -0400
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com> wrote:

> I know vacuum bleeders don't work well on hydraulic clutches; how about
> pressure bleeders?  The design of the Alpine hydraulic system makes it
> almost
> impossible to get the last bit of air out of the slave cylinder and I have
> often thought that a pressure bleeder might do the trick.

I've bled the clutches on hundreds of cars, in lots of makes, with a vacuum
bleeder, and never had a problem.  I confess to never having worked on
alpine clutch (but I'm sure I've bleed clutches with the same slave
cylinder.).  Pressure bleeders make brute force solutions easier (if you run
a couple times the volume of a system through, you can get all the air
out.), but vacuum should work.   (One source of problems with vacuum
bleeders is air leakage around the threds of the bleeder screw.  Pressure
bleeders fill that space with pressurized fluid, so they don't usually get
air sucked in that way. Some cylinders are more prone ot he problem than
others.)

One problem with bleeding British car hydraulic systems is the swept volume
of master cylinders is very low compared to the volume of the wheel
cylinders, calipers and slaves.  American and Japanese systems tend to have
a much higher volume of fluid moved per complete stroke of the pedal.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html