Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options

To: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:00:01 -0400
Hi Tony,

Solar would be nice but would definitely be more work than most other
choices!

Our shop has about 200 square foot more than yours and the winter
temps are definitely colder here than in North Texas where you're
located.

I'll talk to Susan about your arrangement since she has been in your
shop and can relate to it in size and comfort level.

Thanks!

Brad

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Elton E. (Tony) Clark
<eltonclark@gmail.com> wrote:

> I mused of a solar system to help heat my 30 x 60 metal building shop . .
> The shop had basic R-4 glass insulation and a buddy was all into solar
> applications.  I had access to newish 55 gallon drums because we used a lot
> of methanol at my "real job" and we worked up a plan using a  8' x 60',
> panel of corrugated roofing tin on the west side of my shop, with water
> trickling down each corrugation into a collector and pumped into a series
of
> 40 R30 insulated drums.  The thermostatic sensor would start the pump when
> the collectors reached 75 degrees and kick off when th temp dropped below.
> When I wanted heat, I would switch on another pump which would circulate
the
> heated water through a truck radiator with a 1 HP blower for a quick warm
> up.
>
> Reality set in:  Instead, I determined I would only be at the shop about 40
> hours a month so I installed a 130,000 btu gas heater which will warm the
> whole shop from 32 to 60 degrees in about 20 minutes and in North Texas, I
> only need THAT about 20 times a year.
>
> The solar system might work for Brad and Suzy though since they don't have
> cheap gas!
>
> Tony

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96