Re: [Shop-talk] Valve Stems

To: "Elton E. \(Tony\) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>, "Shop Talk List"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Valve Stems
From: "Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:13:34 -0700
Thanks to Tony and others for comments.
This is a slow ( <2000 rpm) antique car engine.
The change comes about due to a switch from a
radius cam follower to a mushroom flat tappet
cam follower and the resulting adjustments required.
We may be able to do some "interesting" functions with
the valve spring compressor to fit a longer adjustment
screw or I'll be looking at new valves with longer valve
stem.  The basic reason for the change is that we can
now fit seals on the tappets to stop oil leakage.  The
square radius tappets, once the broached square hole
wore, were quite the oil pumpers!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA