Re: [Shop-talk] flat screen heat

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] flat screen heat
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:40:36 -0400
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> [*] TED=The Energy Detective - http://www.theenergydetective.com
>
> I dunno. B Do you really think it's wise to buy from a company that makes
> statements like:
> "3. No Batteries - Unlike other home electricity monitors, TED's optional
> wireless display comes with a recharging stand."
>
> What exactly are they recharging, if not batteries? B And how many other
> claims are "marketing speak"? B (In the FAQ they admit there is a lithium
> battery, but don't mention if it is replaceable or not.)
>
> Why is it "sensitive" to 1 watt, not "accurate" to 1 watt? B I couldn't
find
> any mention of what it does about power factor, for example, nor any
> accuracy specification.

Power factor is easy to deal with for a system like this.

> I wonder too, how does it sort out energy usage by my washing machine for
> example (which draws different levels of power from minute to minute over
> the space of an hour or more, depending on what it is doing at the moment);
> from the powered ventilators in the attic (which switch on and off
> automatically).

It doesn't.  It's merely telling you how much power the panel it's
attached to is using. There are systems that put a clamp on every
circuit's feed, so you can see what any circuit is doing.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html