Re: [Shop-talk] Organizing garage/shop

To: "'Jorge Garcia'" <fortee9er@yahoo.com>, "'Shop Talk List'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Organizing garage/shop
From: "Doug Armstrong" <darmstrong@nexicom.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:18:25 -0400
I have found that wall space is usually more valuable in the future than
your current plans.  I bought an inexpensive gardening tool cart that is
fairly compact and can be wheeled out of the way when you need the space.  I
did this to keep the tools off the wall or leaned up in a corner.

How much room do you have above the garage doors?  I have about 20".  I made
a shelf that went along the full length of the garage above the doors.  I
made the shelf 32" wide (1/3 of a 4x8 plywood sheet).  If I had more height
I would have oriented the plywood to have the shelf 4' wide.  I made a
wooden 2x4 frame tied together with metal deck hangers with 32" x 48"
squares.  I got a few lengths of used light / medium duty metal shelf corner
angle and laid them across the roof trusses above the outside edge of the
shelf.  I used 3/8" threaded rod and double nuts to tie the shelf frame to
the shelf corner angles.  This was a clean way of going through the drywall
ceiling.  I installed a 2x4 sill against the wall of the garage to support
the back of the shelf.

It works great & didn't cost too much money.

Doug Armstrong