Re: [Shop-talk] Handheld A/C voltage sensor curiosities

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Handheld A/C voltage sensor curiosities
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:11:31 -0400
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 07:33:25PM -0500, Shop at  Just Brits  wrote:
> << Weird.  And it's a Fluke meter?  That should not be a POS.>>
>
> Gotta agree, Wayne !!
>
> Jimmie, something is definitely wrong <G> someplace <VBG> !!
>
> Like Wayne, batteries would be my 1st 'suspect'.  Is the
> meter new and you used batts that came with ??  Or just
> haven't used for a year or longer ??

Sorry.  Didn't mean to imply this was a Fluke-branded meter.  It's actually
a GE-branded meter I've had for about a year but had only used once before.
Couldn't have cost more than $10.  The Fluke stuff came up during a Google
search as I was trying to figure out how to interpret this meter's readings.

I've tried a couple pairs of new batteries with similar results.

I see a Fluke meter on Amazon for under $25 and it looks like Lowe's
has a detector made by Greenlee for $16.  At those prices, I think I'll just
grab one of these and put the current detector aside.  If the new one
yields similar results, I think I'll call in the Ghostbusters.

Jimmie

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive