Re: [Shop-talk] Handheld A/C voltage sensor curiosities

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Handheld A/C voltage sensor curiosities
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:54:33 -0400
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:32:38PM -0400, David Scheidt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Jimmie Mayfield
> do you have metal lath walls?  They can do strange things with electro
> magnetic fields, even if they're not directly attached to a source.
> They royally screw up radio performance, for instance.

Would metal lath walls essentially form a Faraday cage?

Nope, no metal lath here.  Only drywall.  Though who knows...maybe the builders
used some sort of metallic radiant barrier on the attic side of that wall.  Due
to the design of the house, the only way to access that 30-40sqft of attic space
is to punch through the kneewall.  I probably ought to do it anyway because
I suspect there's not much insulation back there...

JM

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive