Re: [Shop-talk] noid light

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] noid light
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 19:56:12 -0400
Eric,

And to add to what David said about using an o'scope - when I was diagnosing
my wife's Olds I just clipped the 'scope probe to the wire's insulation and
viewed the signal that was inductively coupled to the probe.  Since the
injector is nothing but an inductor there's a fair bit of inductive spike on
the signal and that's what the scope picked up.

Worked for me but YMMV - I was just looking for any injector signal since I
was diagnosing an intermittently dying engine - turned out to be the crank
angle sensor was intermittent.  I just idled the car and diddled around in
the garage until the engine quit and promptly rushed over to see what the
scope trace looked like.

And to make matters works the special tool the GM claims is needed to adjust
the sensor was about $300.  I took it to the local Chevy dealer and had them
replace the sensor at a total of ~$150.  I actually **DIDN'T** use this
opportunity to buy a special tool - I must be getting old.

HTH

Mark Watson
1965 Ford Falcon
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' (long term restoration project)
various transportation pods (still including the '92 Olds referenced above)