Re: [Shop-talk] Was water alarm, now sump pump.

To: marty sukey <trmarty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Was water alarm, now sump pump.
From: Andrew Roberts <arobs@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:52:51 -0800 (PST)
Don't rule out the use of flexible hoses; it's quite possible that the
particular ones you've been using aren't appropriate for the application
or weren't installed correctly.  It's not uncommon to see short lengths of
rubberized hose used to reduce the transmission of vibrations from a pump
to the piping.  It is perilous, however, to clamp a hose, directly to PVC
pipe.  What you need is a hose barb cemented to the pipe that will provide
a "barbed" clamping surface.  On boats, it's considered good practice (and
ABYC standard) to use two stainless-steel hose clamps side-by-side on each
connection below the waterline.

PVC's pretty soft, which makes it hard to clamp to without a hose barb.
On the other hand, the softness of PVC is such that the vibrations from a
small pump probably aren't worth the trouble of flexible couplings if it's
easier to make a direct connection.  In either case, it's important to
make sure that the pump is supported and secured properly on it's own, not
by it's pipe connections, and to be sure that all PVC connections are
cleaned, primed, and bonded with the correct cement.

Good luck.