Re: [Shop-talk] FW: Was water alarm, now sump pump. MORE

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] FW: Was water alarm, now sump pump. MORE
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 11:14:51 -0500
On Dec 4, 2010, at 6:20 PM, marty sukey wrote:

> As I took apart the discharge pipe the water gushed back into the crock with
> lot of force. So much came out I measured it as I scooped it out in order
> empty the crock so I could work on the pipe.  24 gallons of water came out.
> According to my calculations (might be wrong) 240 foot of 1-1/2 inch pipe
> would hold about 24 gallons of water.

Either the slope to the ditch isn't as slopey as you think, and you have a
large column of water pressurizing the system, or it's only 8' of water
pressure but with no air inlet that 8' column is siphoning all 240' of water
back inside when you open things up (though I'd expect the 240' to siphon
everything out to the ditch if the slope was correct, ,and leave you with an
empty system after a few minutes of "straw in an empty cup" sucking sound).

I'd put a check valve inside the house about 2' above the crock, and an air
valve outside as close to the house as possible. If there's a horizontal
section inside the house I'd put it there if you get below freezing.

Something like this:

http://www.ipscorp.com/studor

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96