Re: [Shop-talk] Hot Water Heater 'Heat Trap'

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Hot Water Heater 'Heat Trap'
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:58:35 -0500
At 12:29 AM 12/10/2010, bob@texmog.com wrote:

 >My daughter is having a problem with her Rudd electric water heater. The
 >flow of hot water has slowed to a dribble at all the faucets.  I went over
 >and checked things out and the first problem was the Home builder ( 6 year
 >old house) installed the water heater backwards, the cold water coming into
 >the HOT labeled outlet and the Hot water coming out the Cold labeled outlet.

Bob,

Sounds like the problem I had last January.  The problem started with the hot
water running out very quickly, which was unusual.  Normally we could take
4 showers in 2 bathrooms and not run out of hot water.  Then all of a sudden,
we couldn't take 2 showers without running out of hot water.  Then the faucets
started to have decreased water flow and pressure.

As others said, the problem was the dip tube dissentigrated.  The tiny pieces
blocked the airators and since the cold water was income in at the top of the
heater where the hot water was, the hot water was being deluted too quickly.

So I replaced the hot water heater and that solved the hot water issue.  Then I
had to clean out all the airators.

John

>   I swapped them but only a small increase in pressure. The drain at the
>bottom of the tank appears to have pretty good pressure so I figure the
>problem is in the out side of the heater.
>   Checking out the web for suggestions I read about 'Heat Traps' that are
>now installed (because Uncle Sam likes them) on both inlet and outlets.
>    When I was switching the lines I did not notice anything in the pipes but
>then I really wasn't looking for anything.
>
>So my questions,  can these 'Heat Traps' be removed from the heater?  Is it
>possible the heat trap is located lower in the pipe?  What's the best way to
>get to it?
>
>Bob Nogueira

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229