Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutters (need help picking it out now)

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutters (need help picking it out now)
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:06:43 -0500
OK,  I've decided to get a plasma cutter for sure.  I am figuring I can
budget up to $900 for one.

The problem, when I look on Craigslist, there are tons out there.  Are
there any brands to stay away from?  Is there anything that I should look
for if buying used?

Here is one that caught my eye...

<http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2144198532.html>

It's a 3 in one unit.  Does anyone know if this is a buy or a POS?

I like the idea of the Miller Spectrum. 625 X-TREME.  It says it can do
5/8th (and has a video to show it.)  Is this too 'light duty'?  I do like
the automatic settings.  But the price is a little high unless I find a
used one.

This one REALLY caught my eye.  The price is amazing...

<http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/2089142977.html>

But the one that really seems to be a good deal is...

<http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2132166067.html>

Note, I don't have a TIG welder, so it might be nice to get a combo unit.

 Of course, I have to also consider the HF one...
<
http://www.harborfreight.com/230-volt-inverter-plasma-cutter-with-digital-dis
play-95136.html

But that one seems light (only 1/2" cut)

So, what's the wisdom here have to say?  What would you do?  Are their
units out there I should be looking at?

Thanks again.  I hope to buy the unit tomorrow if I can.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96