Re: [Shop-talk] coupling two shafts

To: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>, "shop-talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] coupling two shafts
From: "John Niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 13:41:37 -0600
sorry guys should have given more detail... I'm building an engine stand...
I've had a head built from 4" pipe with bearings pressed in
and a shaft turned down to fit the bearing i.d.  the shaft is 1-9/6" to
match the i.d. of the bearings (that's why the odd diameter...

torque ???   turning a dressed out Ford 460 eventually...700-800#s..don't
know how to calculate torque... RPM will be 1rpm every now and then... the
gear drive will be added to the back end to make the turning easier...

here's some pics that might help

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/stand006a1.jpg
http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/stand008a.jpg

I don't think the tubing and hose clamps will work   and the factory made
couplings in the larger size are way too expensive. I'd hate to put a
hundred bucks in a coupling.. I was trying to come up with something like
this

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/connector.jpg

the 3/4 male end would fit into the gear drive and the 1-9/16 female would
slide over the shaft of the engine stand head... haven't gotten to the
tightening part yet... maybe set screw on a flat portion of the shaft ???

I need a lathe and the know how to run it !!