Re: [Shop-talk] coupling two shafts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] coupling two shafts
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 17:00:11 -0600
Find an old wheel hub from  a contemporary car- the one-piece kind that
has a flange and lug bolts, and internal sealed bearings.  Weld the
housing to your stand, build a fixture to bolt to the flange to connect
to the engine block.  Add a latch mechanism to lock the rotating
assembly in certain positions so it won't rotate while you are working
on it.

When I was working full time in a garage, we didn't have engine stands.
We would set the block upside down on a table and add the cam bearings,
camshaft, main bearings and the crankshaft.  We would screw long bolts
into the bellhousing holes at the end of the engine then stand it up on
its back end.  Then we would install the pistons, heads and intake
manifold.  We had a plate that would bolt onto the intake manifold in
place of the carb, with a loop on top to raise with a hoist.

> it MIGHT be overkill John, but my current stand is a pipe in a sleeve
> head and the weight of the block/crank alone is difficult to rotate...
> especially with the weight down and trying to roll it back up against
> the offset weight...   I figured why not build one that won't suffer
> that problem

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive