[Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum

Subject: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum
From: Jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim and Kathy)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:11:48 -0500
Thanks guys.  Putting a bolt in as a plug was actually my first thought, but
the manifold is only about 3/16" thick at that point and I am afraid that
won't leave enough meat for the bolt to fully grab.  However, I just did a
little playing around with my earlier test and am now confident that,
consistent with what Scott just reported, the aluminum rod does seem to have
bonded with the base metal.  I took a nail just a hair smaller than the
diameter of the original hole and tried to hammer the plug out; the nail bent
but the plug didn't budge.  I drilled a second hole and tried again and this
one worked just as well.  I wouldn't trust a bracket brazed in this manor, but
am now confident that this is a good way to plug a small hole.

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 16, 2011, at 3:35 AM, "scottmryan at netzero.net" <scottmryan at
netzero.net>