[Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum

Subject: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum
From: kvacek at ameritech.net (Karl Vacek)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:50:06 -0600
So now it's sold as "Durafix".  Still the same old crap - I bought some of
this 35 years ago as "Lumiweld".  Don't bother to buy it and ruin your
manifold with it.

It's a zinc compound and while it will stick where you apply it perfectly,
it's so hard that it's nearly impossible to smooth out level with the
aluminum.  And you WILL have to smooth it out.  Its re-melt temperature is
way higher - you will not be re-flowing it to smooth it.  It also alloys
with the aluminum so if you decide the repair is a bad one, you'll have to
cut out more of your original metal to get rid of it.  This stuff may have a
place in the world, but I think it's mostly sold at big car shows, etc. by
fast-talking demo guys and nobody buys it a second time.

Since you're repairing an intake manifold, pressure and temperature aren't
much of an issue.  Eastwood and others sell something called "Lab Metal"
which is a high-grade, high-temperature material something like "Plastic
Steel" for smoothing metal prior to powder coating.  It'll stand up to the
PC temperatures, which will be higher than what a typical intake manifold
sees in use.

Karl