[Shop-talk] Comparing kerosene & electric shop heater costs

Subject: [Shop-talk] Comparing kerosene & electric shop heater costs
From: jamesf at groupwbench.org (Jim Franklin)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:51:20 -0500
On Feb 2, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Randall wrote:

> Is fuel oil any cheaper?

Well if I take a jug to the station I can get it for $3.50, but I was being
conservative for my precision, which was an order of magnitude :-)  Just
didn't think a heater that beefy would be so cheap to run. And as Brian
pointed out I didn't take into account any tiered rating. It was mostly an
academic exercise.

> You might also want to take a peek at those infrastructure costs,
especially

Yea, there's no way this house will handle that. But trade current for time
and eventually it'd fit.

> The water problem can also be eliminated by using a vented heater (which is
> the only kind allowed here, if the shop is attached to a residence).  But
of
> course that also lowers the efficiency.

Hmmm.....