[Shop-talk] Replacing a breaker?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Replacing a breaker?
From: jdinnis at gmail.com (John Innis)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:10:45 -0500
The next step in troubleshooting would be to isolate the breaker form
the circuit.  If you can, turn off the power to the breaker at a main
line disconnect or panel breaker. With no power in the panel, try to
close the breaker.  If it will not close, the breaker is bad, go ahead
and replace it.

If you can't easily power down the entire panel, the following can be
done with the box live, but you must used extreme caution.  Do not do
this without someone else right there and a rescue plan.  You need to
remove the cover from the panel and disconnect the circuit from the
breaker by removing the wire that connects the circuit to the breaker.
With this wire removed try to close the breaker.  If it will not
close, the breaker is bad, go ahead and replace it.

If the breaker stays closed with no power on or with the circuit
disconnected, you have some other fault in the house wiring or one of
the light fixtures.