Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor

To: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor
From: "David C." <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 19:54:44 -0700
Antique boilers were made of iron, probably, and were riveted together.
  The also have a lot more volume and surface area than a shop air
compressor tank, which would contribute to the force of any explosion.

As a side note, a lot of the "boiler" explosions in the 19th century
were actually flywheel explosions.  The steam engines of the day used
huge 10+ foot iron flywheels and when one of those let go, it had a lot
of metal flying around.