[Shop-talk] Air Compressor

Subject: [Shop-talk] Air Compressor
From: vlm at te-motorworks.com (Vincent Marshall)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 11:10:30 -0700
For what it's worth, new tanks are not prohibitively expensive.  When I bought
my used IR Type 30, I remember paying around $400 for a new 60 gallon vertical
tank to replace the original from 1964.  Now I don't have to think about it
for another decade or two.  Air compressor tanks do have an expected lifetime
and it's not all that long.

It also seems like you could source a tank on the real cheap by just keeping
an eye out for a newer oilless compressor that has eaten itself.

-vin

On May 22, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Wayne wrote:

> On 5/22/2011 10:26 AM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
>> I always wondered how long my 40-year-old Craftsman air compressor
>> tank would last, and how destructively catastrophic would the failure
>> be?  Turns out to be 40 years, and not very.
>
> So... just how did it fail?  I worry about mine, and it sounds similar.
1971 (5 years younger than me) vintage 2hp 40-ish gallon that dad bought back
in the day.  I drain the water occasionally but leave it pressurized full
time.  It lives in the basement / garage and I worry it may explode up through
the floor some day.