Re: [Shop-talk] the air saga continues

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] the air saga continues
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 08:58:20 -0400
At 08:00 AM 6/1/2011, john niolon wrote:

 >small leaks ??  vacuums and slime and epoxy, oh my ???  In my case, I have
 >small leaks also.  My tank and system will leak down in 3-4 days.  However it
 >might be 5-14 days before I need air again.

 >My major problem is remembering to turn off my compressor when I leave the
 >shop !  I usually notice the lights flicker in the house when it comes on and
 >I go out to kill the breaker.

 >I think you're past the point of diminishing returns...  I don't know if I've
 >EVER seen a system that is totally leak free... Readily available air is nice
 >convenience, but my old Quincy 300 will get me what I need in less than 5
 >minutes.  I spend that time putting away tools and stuff.

I have to agree with John.  My system will leak down in a day.  That was fine,
it wasn't worth my time to find and stop the leaks.  When I turn on my
compressor, then I drag out my air hoses and hook them up.  Start getting the
various tools out for what ever job I'm going to be working on, and by them
my compressor shuts off, especially if I have to jack up the car.

So live with the leaks.

I don't like leaving my compressor on when I'm not in the shop.  Over the last
20 years with it, I've had problems with the hoses I had going to my
cooling coil
blow, quit frequently - hasn't done it in years now,  had it throw
the belt a lot,
and had the motor break it's self loose from the bracket it is welded
to.  All 3 would lead to the compressor running continuously if I
were not there to turn
it off.

On a side note, appliances are probably a lot better today than they were, but
my mom wouldn't leave the house with anything on.  So neigther do I.  I don't
like leaving the ceiling fan on, the washer or dryer, or
stove.  About the only
things I leave on, is the heat pump and the hot water heater.  Now I
do realize
that most of the new appliances, TVs, etc. all are on all the
time.  A lot of those
things are on power strips, and if I'm going to be away for more than
8 - 10 hrs.
I'll turn them off, and when I think about it, I'll even trip the
circuit breaker for
the hot water heater.

John

Va. Beach, Va