Re: [Shop-talk] gps to find the shop

To: Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] gps to find the shop
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:07:14 -0400
I have owned about 5 or 6 Garmins over the last 15 years, and I have
(obviously) been happy with them.
The biggest downside is that the databases get out-of-date, and you
have to pay real money for updates.
It's almost like cellphones or laptops, where a replacement battery is
so expensive that it's often worth just chucking it and getting an
entire new unit.

I have a Droid X which has nice Google maps and navigation, but even
with a car mount, it is not as easy to use as a dedicated unit.  There
are simply too many ways to hit the wrong button and find yourself in
Facebook, etc.

In practice, I use the Garmin to tell me where to drive, and the Droid
to tell me about traffic conditions and where the nearest good pizza
place is.

Doug

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Scott Hall
<scott.hall.personal@gmail.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> 1) Smartphone.  If you've got an Android or Blackberry, get the Google Maps
> app for it.  I don't use a standalone GPS unit any more.
>
> 2) Barring that, I'll go home and get the model number off ours, which we
> bought at Thanksgiving for my mom before she said she already had one.  It
> works fine, and I have to think at this point virtually anything from
Tomtom