Re: [Shop-talk] gps to find the shop

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] gps to find the shop
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:01:39 -0400
That's why the only GPS I use any more is the Droid and Google Maps--all
I REALLY want is an accurate (enough) map and to know where I am on that
map.  After that, I can figure out how to get there, or allow it to
suggest a route.  I DO NOT want turn-by-turn directions, because I've
never gotten over the first few GPS units I had 'death cycle'-ing me
around an interstate exchange or city block, or trying to get me to
drive over the railroad bridge, etc.  Google Maps has yet to do that; it
seems to be updated fairly quickly.

Having said that, I don't REALLY trust it implicitly, but at least I can
view its suggested route for gross errors.  The GPS units always seem to
get me in trouble before I realize it.  Or at least annoy the heck out
of me.

And--though I hate to admit it because I don't trust it--Google seems to
have built its Traffic feature into its map routing.  Twice it's routed
me around traffic jams, and once right into one when I ignored its
advice and drove the way I thought I should...right into four hours on
I-75.  Also, on my Droid, it'll do the lane-view thing, which is nice
when I'm in really familiar eight-lane quit-exit territory (ugh,
Boston), and don't know where I need to be next.

On 6/6/2011 2:03 PM, Randall wrote:

> But don't forget they do sometimes make mistakes, of various kinds.  We took
> a long trip with a friend's Nuvi before buying ours, and it once guided me
> into an abandoned parking lot in the middle of nowhere, saying "continue on
> highway 15" when there wasn't a highway within miles.  It also tried to get
> me to drive through a river (which might be fordable for part of the year,
> but was 4-6' deep when we were there).

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive