Re: [Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb

To: "shop-talk" <>, "John T. Blair"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb
From: "Eric J Russell" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:36:01 -0400
I would vote for the heli coil or some sort of thread insert repair. The JB
weld is for the
'slap-it-together-long-enough-to-unload-it-on-an-unsuspecting-buyer' repair.
The heli coil allows you to use the original size screws and will be as
strong/stronger than before.

That said, I once used the Permatex thread repair kit - an epoxy material -
to fix a manifold bolt thread on a straight 6 in a '75 Chevy pick up. I did
not have access to make a proper repair (not enough room to drill/tap for
thread insert with the engine in the truck). That repair lasted a few years
until I eventually sold the truck.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC