[Shop-talk] hanging bicycles

Subject: [Shop-talk] hanging bicycles
From: koblinger at verizon.net (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 20:29:44 -0700
I bought a pair of the hoists that Harbor Freight sells. They are very
similar if not identical to the ones shown in the Amazon link that has
been posted. I found them to be real finicky to get both hooks aligned
on the bike and keep them hooked properly while hoisting. But, I found a
way to fix it. I used a piece of 2x2 as a spreader and mounted the hook
assemblies to each end. With this I can easily hook the handlebars and
seat with one hand and and maintain tension with the rope in the other
hand. Once the hooks are set properly, up she goes.  I cut one end of
the spreader on an angle so that the handlebars are turned a bit when
lifted. Then the handlebars will fit between my scissor trusses and the
bike can go higher.

Cheers,
Kurt O.