[Shop-talk] battery tender--Thanks

Subject: [Shop-talk] battery tender--Thanks
From: jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim Stone)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:33:22 -0500
This is slightly off-topic, but since the main question seems to have been
answered: I have always wondered what caused a battery of mine to explode.  I
used to have a Mercedes 230sl and the car was only driven occasionally.  I
didn't have a battery tender then (I don't even know if they were available
c1985) and frequently had to charge or jump the battery before using the car.
I don't remember the age of the battery at the time of the explosion, but it
was probably no more than 5 or 6 years old.  I went to start the car one day,
turned the key and the battery literally exploded with a loud bang.  The hood
was down, so the engine compartment contained everything.  I hosed everything
off, replaced the battery and all was fine.  I owned and drove the car for
another 15 years without incident.  But I have always wondered about the
likely cause.  Based on this discussion, I assume the spark from the ignition
ignited hydrogen gases, but why would the gases build up like that outside the
battery?  There were no known problems with the ignition system and the car
had not been driven recently.  I don't remember the temperature at the time,
but we were living in Toledo, which almost never gets above the mid 90's.  Any
thoughts?

BTW: one outcome of this event is that I now know what a Mafioso's last
thought is:  "What the f---?"  That is about all time I would have had.

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:23:57 +0000
> From: bspidell at comcast.net
> To: tputland at charter.net
> CC: shop-talk at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] battery tender--Thanks
>
> Just to be clear, overcharging isn't 'boiling,' like boiling water. The
too-high charging voltage causes the sulfuric acid electrolyte to release
hydrogen gas; the bubbles are the result of a chemical reaction, not heat. I
don't remember the equation but, basically, you're releasing the H2 from
H2SO4. The SO4, 'sulfate,' will settle to the bottom of the battery and short
out the plates.