[Shop-talk] Generic exhaust question

Subject: [Shop-talk] Generic exhaust question
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:30:14 -0400
On 8/26/2011 8:35 AM, Matt Trebelhorn wrote:
> So it's 8:30; I'm 100 miles from home and have to leave here in an hour
> for a 60-mile drive to a job interview.
> And the flex pipe on the exhaust broke wide open about 20 minutes ago.

Good Luck with interview, Matt!  Don't know any good fix, though
(amusing it's similar with the ones on my Nissans.)  Replacements can be
quite pricey.  I was able to locate and buy a joint years ago (late 90s)
and cut out the bad joint, "tack" the new one in with sheet metal screws
and had the welder at work TIG it up for me.  But it was tough to even
find anyone selling the flex joint by itself.  Might have been Jegs or
Summit that I found it.  www.RockAuto.com has come along since then, and
they're a good source for those kinda parts -- they probably have the
whole exhaust piece for not too much.

I wouldn't trust the typical muffler shop to wrench on anything directly
bolted to one of my engines!

-Wayne