[Shop-talk] best residential mower

Subject: [Shop-talk] best residential mower
From: fishplate at gmail.com (Jeff Scarbrough)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 07:29:55 -0400
You wrote:

> don't want to put out mega bucks on a commercial and don't want a box store
>> pos..

The best mower is a cheap Snapper you bought off of Craigslist.  Easy
to fix when it breaks, relatively cheap parts, and lots of excuses to
sit out in the shop and tinker while you sip a beverage.

Consumer Reports seemed pretty fond of the JD ZTR mowers as of a
couple of years ago.  Note that the JD tractor you get at the Big Box
isn't the same as the JD you get at the JD dealer.

We have a JD 420 lawn tractor at work - it doesn't see regular use (or
maintenance) but it works every time.  We also have a Toro ZTR and a
JD ZTR - I wouldn't run the JD on a hill, since it doesn't have a seat
belt or ROPS.  The Toro does...  Both have been pretty reliable in
regular use.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.