Re: [Shop-talk] Voltage regulators

To: "'shop-talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Voltage regulators
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:08:18 -0700
Regulators are matched to the generator in several ways.  One is whether it
grounds the field or connects it to the output (which in turn depends on how
the field windings are connected inside the generator).  They must limit the
output current to the appropriate value.  And usually there is a resistor
that sets the "off" current to a value that is appropriate to the vehicle.
This resistor improves the life of the regulator contacts.

If those 3 things match, and you deal with any wiring changes required, then
I think a substitute regulator would work OK.

One alternative might be to take your old regulator to one of the places
that provide upgraded electronic internals.

Another might be to disassemble and repair your existing regulator.  They
are pretty simple devices, and as long as the mechanical parts are not
damaged, usually repairable.  Even shorted windings can be rewound, although
last time I did it, I ruined the pole piece getting it apart and had to make
a new one on the lathe.

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96