[Shop-talk] Voltage regulators

Subject: [Shop-talk] Voltage regulators
From: tr3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:08:14 -0700
> I guess I should have mentioned, mine is electronic not mechanical.

Ah, I see!  In that case, the resistor is less important, as long as it
isn't too low a value (which could cause overcharging under light load
conditions).  But the other two conditions (plus matching ground polarity)
still apply.

Seems like a strange configuration, though.  American cars went to
alternators several years before electronic regulators, and even my 71
Triumph has an alternator with a partially mechanical regulator.  Perhaps I
should ask, does your generator have a commutator, or slip rings?

-- Randall