Re: [Shop-talk] Compressed Air Lines, RapidAir

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Compressed Air Lines, RapidAir
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 19:36:54 -0400
The reasons for the phone ban is two fold.  First, the FAA doesn't want to
have to test every cell phone model out there.

More importantly, the problem is that a cell phone 20,000 feet in the air
can hit LOTS of cell towers.  That means that if people were using them in
the planes, they would quickly saturate towers.

Plus, I agree that not having people talking on their phones is a great
idea.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson

Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
10/13/2011 18:59

shop-talk@autox.team.net
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Compressed Air Lines, RapidAir

I've been five feet from a pvc air line when it exploded.  It does
happen.  Made a huge boom and sprayed shrapnel.  A guy three feet away
caught some in the face and arm.

Though the fact that I was five feet from it and am just fine tends to
mitigate that argument to people that want to use pvc for air lines.

I dunno, I won't use pvc for air anymore.  I have, however, flown
250,000 miles (at least) having forgotten my phone was powered up in my
backpack, and the plane has never so much as hiccuped.  I tend to be
skeptical that a $200 million flying radio is going to be equipped with
anything that has any issues with a phone's cellular radio.  I mean,
most planes in the U.S. are rarely more than 40,000 feet off the ground,
and most of the flights I take are at about 20,000 feet.  That's four
miles.  My phone easily has a range of four miles, which means all those
phones on the ground are emitting something that could interfere with
the plane too.  The cell phone frenzy is one of those things that will
convince us that we were retarded in 30 years.

Having said that, I'm very happy no one can use their cell phone to talk
on a plane.  That'd be nightmarish.  I'd rather they just outlaw talking
into your phone and eject non-compliers.  You only have to toss a few
before everyone else would quit.  If you want to sit quietly and play
Angry Birds, knock yourself out.