Re: [Shop-talk] Welding table

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding table
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:05:15 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Scott wrote:
> I stood on one of the 'long' ends and bounced up and down on the balls of my
> feet. It didn't move. That design is one of the things I like about
> it--plenty of room for me to clamp stuff to the edges, and get in close to it
> without bumping into the legs.  For slow TIG welding, I could even get a
> stool right up the edge and sit on it with my legs under the table.  I'm
> still pretty wretched at TIG welding, so being able to sit and brace myself
> without having to hover with my weight over the work will be a help, I think.

    I built the frame for my table with one side totally open for the same
reason.  It has five legs, one on each corner, and one in the middle of
the back side.  I am definitely better seated, versus trying to balance on
one foot and pedal with the other.

> The foot is maybe three feet on a side, also half-inch steel. It's a bit like
> the old Mustangs--it's got plenty of 'road-hugging weight' keeping it steady.
> :-)

    Well that's about 200 pounds, which explains a lot.  I was picturing
something much more 'foot-sized'.  That'd be a nice top for most.

> That's sort of what I had in mind.  I just need to find two large, true
> I-beams and some really big clamps.  How much overhang should I leave?  I
> want more than I think I'll ever need, but I want to support the top enough
> not to sag again.  The existing supports run diagonally from the column
> towards each corner, and they probably stop about two feet from the corners.
> I would have thought that would have been enough, and it makes me want to go
> almost all the way to the edges...but I never want to bump into a support
> with a clamp on the edge.

    For clamping, a few inches suffices for all but really long-jaw clamps.
If you use angle for those supports, you can go all the way to the edge
without preventing clamping ( except for the small spot where the vertical
of the angle is ).  I left three inches overhang on three sides of my
table, and 15 inches on the other, but I had other reasons for that.

> I'd like to weigh mine.  Putting together a shop involves a lot of creative,
> third-century B.C.-esque moving techniques.  For the TIG welder, I had to put
> the engine crane in the bed of truck, lower it onto the ground, tilt it until
> I got pipes under it, then roll it over the pipes until I got it where I
> wanted it in the garage.  This table is going to be like that.

    I drove to work for three days with my 4x8 plate hanging out the back
of my short bed truck while I built the frame to the hold it.  The only
way I could safely unload it was to slide it directly onto the frame...

http://planet-torque.com/welding/tools/fab-table-top-1.jpg

    If you wind up welding some supports underneath to keep the top flat,
consider using some conveniently-sized tubes.  2" hitch receiver tube is
most peoples' choice.  Then make removable mounts for various tools with
other tube that telescopes inside...

http://planet-torque.com/welding/tools/bench-grinder-2.jpg

    Drill and tap a hole in each support, make a couple tee handles
like this to secure the mounts, and, bam, modular workstation.

http://planet-torque.com/welding/tools/tee-handle.jpg

    If you do use receiver tube ( which is kind of expensive ), you also
now have portable tools you can install on your truck.

--
  David Hillman

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96