Re: [Shop-talk] Welding table

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding table
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:02:33 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Scott wrote:
> The ends.  The middle is where the 'leg' is--a single column about eight
> inches in diameter.

    That's a relatively unique design.  How stable is it?

> Am I just crazy about putting some thing bar stock over the top, then trying
> to crank the ends up to it, then welding more stock to the bottom to keep it
> flat?  I'll probably have to get railroad rail and the world's biggest
> clamps, but the droop really isn't that great.

    No, you aren't crazy, it just won't be easy and probably not cheap.
Flip it over onto two large, true I beams, clamp down each corner, and
then weld some heavy tube or angle underneath along the 5 foot sides,
leaving a few inches of overhang.

> Huh.  Now I must calculate what the column and foot weigh.  The thing is
> *heavy*.

    .2833 pounds per cubic inch for steel.  Adds up quick.  My top is about
700 pounds, and the frame around 250.

--
  David Hillman

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html