Re: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:40:49 -0800
>> I've got one of the little Harbor Freight hand-operated
>> hydraulic crimping tools:
>>
>> http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html
>
> You can also get "hand crimpers" such as:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/003-Swaging-Tool-16-32/dp/B004Z21C2E

I have one of those too, used to use it for battery cables, guy wires,
etc. before I got the Harbor Freight doodad.   It worked well and I got
a lot of use out of it.  Eventually one of the bolt-holes stripped out
from the jaws I used most regularly.

Its tough to use for position work because you need to put a lot of
leverage on the wrench when you snug down the bolts, alternating side to
side, works best if you can chuck it in a vise.

John.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive