[Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?
From: jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim Stone)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:32:26 -0600
Plan B gets a little confusing to describe, which is why I left it out of my
original note.  But, I will do my best: The cable connects to a U-shaped
bracket that attaches to the lever that pulls the right side shoes out.
(Hopefully that makes sense.)  There is a steel rod that attaches to the cable
and works the left side. In the OEM set-up, the adjusting screw is hollow and
the cable runs through it; the ferrule then rests on the outside of screw.
This design allows the screw to be turned with the cable installed, making
adjustment much easier. The U-bracket is just a hair longer than the cable
adjusting screw+ferrule, meaning the ferrule almost rests on the lever when
fully screwed in.  A spacer is thus not an option.

Now, the recently manufactured replacement I bought is a cheaper design, using
a solid adjusting screw, with the cable attached to that.  You thus have to
disconnect the parking brake end of the cable in order to tighten the
adjusting screw.  It is a much poorer design, but it would allow me to cut off
a bit of the screw, effectively shortening the cable.  That doesn't do me any
good at the moment, since the screw is turned all the way in.  However, I
could now cut and re-drill the U-shaped bracket, which should make everything
work.  I could also see if a machine shop could make me a new shorter one.  It
is pretty simple, just a U-shaped piece of strapping that is drilled at the
flat end for the screw (there is a floating nut for the adjusting screw), and
at the legs for the pin to hold it to the brake lever, but I don't have the
tools to make a bend that tight - it is only about 1/2 inch wide.

I don't have a spare bracket (at least, I don't think I do.  Writing this
reminds me that I should dig around my spare parts bins and boxes; I may have
one I don't remember) and am hesitant to modify the one I am using.  I also
wonder if there is some logic behind the stock length and if shortening it
will come back to haunt me in some way.

Still, it is an option and writing it all down makes me think I should give
that a try.