[Shop-talk] Welding table

Subject: [Shop-talk] Welding table
From: ejrussell at mebtel.net (ejrussell at mebtel.net)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 20:52:27 -0500
> the top has sagged ever-so-slightly on the long axis.  Maybe a half inch
> on either end.

Either my email isn't working or there haven't been any replies. If the
latter here goes mine.

I think you need to apply some force to oppose the bend. Can the top be
removed and flipped over? Or prop up the sagging ends and apply an
opposing force to push the bow down. (hydraulic jack and a stout post
against a garage door header?) If you try your idea of a clamping a
beam along the top to pull the bow out you again need to over-pull it
to take the bend out. Place a solid block in the middle then clamp down
the ends to pull the bow out.  Just laying it down on a flat floor and
applying some heat won't do it. You need to bend it the other way
almost as much as it is bent now to allow for spring back.

As for threaded holes for hold down jigs - I'd think threads in 1/2
thick steel would be quite strong. You are wanting to simply hold
things still - not bend heavy parts.

If you bolt your ground clamp to the top will that make your welder
less portable? And does that matter to you? Or do you have an extra
ground cable that would simply plug into the welder?

No good ideas about paint. Obviously you can't paint the top and even
the underside of the top might not hold paint for long if you are
welding directly on it. The legs should be fine with a coat or two of
enamel.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC