Re: [Shop-talk] totally and completely OT online data usage question

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] totally and completely OT online data usage question
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:29:27 -0500
On 2/4/2012 6:40 PM, shochschild@att.net wrote:
> Collecting recorded live music is not bootlegging, in the way I use the
> term. _Selling_ recorded live music or collecting music that the artist
> doesn't want you to would be wrong, but the Dead have a long tradition
> of supporting and encouraging taping, as do many if not most current
> live show musicians. The Dead used to string out patch cables from the
> mixing board to a special taper's section, so everyone had the best

Yup.  The Dead were probably the first.  I'm a Phish Phan.  Both of
them, along with a lot of "jam band" style musicians, and up & coming
bands have allowed & encouraged recording of live shows for years.  You
usually need to apply for a special "tapers ticket" to bring in
equipment or hook up to the sound board feed, but they usually don't
charge extra.  Folks bring in some pretty elaborate equipment, like
stereo mics on 10 foot tall stands feeding outboard analog-digital
converters into laptops.

Selling recordings for profit is frowned upon or forbidden.  But
standard practice for years was "B & P" -- blanks and postage.  Send the
taper blank media (cassette, DAT, CD, etc) and a SASE and exchange was
free.  With the 'net now, you can download and share without such
hassle.  Jam On!

-Wayne

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96