[Shop-talk] How to make a clamp

Subject: [Shop-talk] How to make a clamp
From: strovato at optonline.net (Steven Trovato)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:55:53 -0500
When fabricating various things out of metal around the shop,
sometimes I want some part to clamp to some other part.  Suppose I
have a U shaped part I want to slide over a piece of square tubing
and hold in place.   I can make a hole in the side of the U, tap it
or weld a nut on, and tighten a bolt in to create a clamping
force.  This, of course, works and I see stuff done like this.  While
effective, the clamping force is concentrated in a small point and
the bolt turns while clamping, so this can be a bit hard on the
underlying tube.  Suppose I wanted to take this to the next level,
and have some kind of foot on the bottom of the bolt like a real C
clamp.  This would involve something like a ball joint that allows
the bolt to turn independent of the foot while keeping the foot from
just falling off, again, like a real C clamp.  The question is, are
there any somewhat generic parts available for creating things like
this?  It could be something that gets welded to a bolt, or a bolt
with a ball end and a matching socket.  This is just for shop stuff
so I'm not interested in starting a custom machining project.  I
thought about cannibalizing a C clamp, but the thread is different
(acme) and they aren't exactly designed to be disassembled.  I feel
like there should be something for this purpose at McMaster-Carr or
someplace similar, but so far I haven't found it.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net